Are Email Newsletters Still Effective?
With all of the social media platforms out there today, you may have wondered if it’s even necessary for business owners to have an email marketing strategy anymore. If this sounds like you, keep reading! There are around 246 million email users in the United States, so despite all of the other forms of chat and contact that have been introduced in recent years, email marketing appears to be here to stay for the foreseeable future. If you’re still not convinced, a Statistica report also showed that email was the preferred type of brand interaction above all others, even social media. With that in mind, it may be worth a second look to see if email newsletter marketing could still be beneficial to your business.
There are many benefits to email marketing if done correctly, ranging from brand awareness to learning just who your audience is to boosting revenue. However, there are a few tips you’ll want to keep in mind if you are going to create an effective email newsletter.
Benefits of Email Newsletters
First, let’s look at the vast amount of benefits an e-newsletter can provide for your business!
Understand Your Audience
E-newsletters are a great way of learning just who your target audience is. Email software providers, such as Constant Contact, can offer tons of valuable information about your audience. For example, after you send an email campaign you can learn a lot about your engagement rates, such as the percentage of opens, clicks, bounces, successful deliveries, and more. You can also learn about which of your links received the most action, learning what type of content your audience is the most interested in. It’s even possible to know how many have opened your newsletter from a desktop versus a mobile device, allowing even greater insights on the type of individuals you are reaching.
Once you find out more about your target audience, it’s important to pay attention to who your long-term, faithful followers are. These are the individuals who have been your day-1 subscribers who continue to stay active and engaged. Figure out what it is that has kept them interested and consider sending special offers to these individuals. As an added benefit for you, these offerings can raise your customer lifetime value (CLV).
Familiarize Your Audience
When you send out an e-newsletter you are given the opportunity to familiarize your audience with your brand. Creating a newsletter offers the perfect opportunity to promote what your brand looks like and what your business has to offer to potential customers. You can include recent company news, products and services, seasonal sales, links to your blog posts, and more! This allows your audience to become continually more familiar with who your company is and what it’s all about. Now keep in mind that if you push sales and products too much you can lose subscribers, so make sure to offer additional content that is beneficial to your viewer. A good rule of thumb is 70/30, with the largest part being information that is helpful with a few advertising bits thrown in.
There is an added benefit to sharing information that is useful to your audience, beyond a simply more grateful audience willing to view your ads. You have the chance to demonstrate your company’s expertise. This is your opportunity to show that you are a reputable company by sending out important industry news along with any big company updates.
Engage Your Audience
Another major benefit of email newsletters is the opportunity to market your products and services to a potential customer. This, in turn, is going to likely increase your revenues. As an added benefit, e-newsletters are highly affordable in comparison to many other marketing options and offer a sizable return on investment. One study conducted found that for every $1 invested into email marketing there was a $44 return.
There are many great ways to use e-newsletters in your business’s advertising. You can use them as a way to promote limited-time offers, sales, and discounts. An example might be a seasonal Christmas or Black Friday sale. You can also use e-newsletters as a mode of alerting customers to new products and services your business will be offering. A great way to do this is by giving little snippets of what’s to come before the big reveal, encouraging your audience to stay engaged and active.
Creating Email Marketing Campaigns
Okay, so e-newsletters have proven themselves to be highly beneficial. But how do you go about creating an effective email marketing campaign? Here are a few tips.
- Have a Defined Goal: Try a brainstorming session to determine what the goal of your newsletter is. This way you will have a much easier time determining the kinds of content you should include in your newsletter.
- Research Trending Topics: Consider doing a simple Google search of trending events and topics that could relate to your company and desired newsletter content. This is a great way to draw your audience in and include your brand in these trending conversations.
- Create an Engaging Subject Line: The subject line of your newsletter is vital. If it doesn’t instantly catch the attention of your reader, they likely won’t even open it. Take some time to come up with something that will be relevant to your content as well as eye-catching and witty, like a great punch line.
- Include Quality, Relevant Content: To put it bluntly, make sure your email content is worth reading. If your viewer doesn’t find the information helpful or relevant, likely they won’t keep reading and may even unsubscribe.
- Have a Consistent, Eye-Catching Email Design: Less is more when it comes to your newsletter design. You want to create a clean, simple design that will be eye-catching. If your audience is confused before they even start reading, they likely won’t be bothered to continue. Try to stick to one main font and color along with consistent design elements that directly relate to your company’s branding.
- Consider Hiring An Email Newsletter Marketer: Maybe you’ve realized that an e-newsletter could benefit your company, but you just don’t have the time or resources to do it yourself. Our team here at Mondo would be happy to work with you to create an email campaign that is right for your business!
There are clearly endless benefits that an email newsletter can offer! Maybe you have a newsletter currently, but you’ve realized it could use some revamping. Or, possibly you haven’t yet included one in your marketing strategy, but would like to. If this sounds like you, start off by implementing the tips above. Then, if you have additional questions or realize you simply don’t have the time to invest right now, let us know and we’d be happy to take care of the designing and scheduling of consistent email campaigns for you!